Saturday, January 26, 2013

Bats

In the past few days we had many hard times but they were fun.  I am only going to tell you about one. Yesterday we went to the Lanquin caves. We first went during the day. These caves run for over ten kilometers back into the mountain. We only walked in them for maybe half of a kilometer. It was really scary because of how dark it was. We ended up turning off our lights and it was so dark! You couldn't even see your hand in front of your face.
After that we came back to our hostel. In the back of the hostel there is a fast flowing river. We were a bit unsure but we went swimming. There is a rope stretching across the river that you grab onto when you pass it. There are two ropes, the second one is for if you miss the first. But if you miss both you go off a water-fall and die. After swimming for a bit (well not swimming more like clinging to a rope and trying to keep the current from ripping your pants off) we decided to climb upstream and drift down to the rope. I was a bit scared at first so I caught the rope with my face. Apparently I tore my upper frenulum. I could need stitches but I don't think I will get them.
Once it got a bit darker we went back to the caves to see all the bats fly out. They were everywhere! We held a big spider. It was just a baby but and adult of that kind of spider can have a body as big as my fist and legs probably as long as mine!
Although we have faced some hardships, it is good here, but because of my Frenulum thing it hurts to smile... oh well, adios from Lanquin.                               EK



At the pools we swam,found caves,slides,rocks to jump off. We hiked a mountain. If you put your feet in the water the fish wold nibble your toes.                      AK




3 comments:

  1. Keep hanging on to those ropes EK and AK. Hope your smile feels better soon. Good thing you are both good swimmers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful pics! Looks a little different than Spring Lake! Enjoy reading your posts! Miss you guys! No school here today...freezing rain on top of 4 inches of snow...ok, say it. Ha Ha! TJCCC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now realize how much we have back here in America. We miss you Evan. (i'm sitting in your seat in class) switching classes around is fun but I think we're all still getting used to the way things work. I still can't figure out the end of the day! Bye.
    -Bethany.

    ReplyDelete