Monday, March 11, 2013

Diving and Gaudeloupe


For many days our one “quest” has been to find dive sights. The first and by far the best spot was the 

Jacque Cousteau underwater marine park in Guadeloupe. This “Jacque” guy invented the idea of scuba diving. Scuba diving is different than just diving. SCUBA stands for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus. This means that you have a tank instead of a hose going to the surface that gives you air. Jacque thought that this underwater marine park was one of the best dive site(s) in the world. We did two different dives there. The first dive had a French name. It was like Pixcion or Pixconawhattheheckdoesthismean either way I couldn’t pronounce it. The next one was called the coral garden. We learned this due to my dads “great” French skills. The “Coral Garden” was the best dive I have ever done. We saw so many turtles and all kinds of trunkfish and feather-duster worms (yes I have been trying to identify all of the marine life). 
After the dive we went to a beach and picked up every piece of sea glass on it. My dad and I have a plan to make our counter out of all sea glass. Although we think we should save the sea-glass for the counter, mom and Adam think it should be for making sea-glass mermaids and jelly-fish. Dad and I devised a plan to steal the sea-glass mom used for her mermaid, but I think she got suspicious when one of the blue pieces disappeared.         EK

Today was another short passage. The sail was from Les Saintes (Guadeloupe) to Dominica. This was a great sail of about 20 miles. Adding to the fish stories we "landed" a 30in baracuda. Now if you have seen these fish they are a bit scary. Big teeth, stare at you when you see them snorkeling or swimming. They are equally scary out of the water. Getting him off the hook presented a dilema. As you know our other fish had rigor mortis and was not difficult to remove from the hook.  Solution: stunned him with a little rum in the gills. Settled right down and then swam away in a not so straight path. However I smelled like fish and booze after this adventure. Just trying to blend in. We continue to see multiple flying fish while sailing.  Would that be a school of fish or a flock, they are flying. 
BK

2 comments:

  1. Evan, you missed fun night again. Usually you were skiing now your scuba diving. Completely different altitudes. :) Have fun. I got sick and so did my sister. Lots of people seem to be getting sick. Keara and I are starting an equestrian team in May. Lacrosse seems to have started. Just thought an update would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EK and AK nice picture of you two jumping off the boat. I for one, am very impressed you are doing so well in your SCUBA activities. I would not like it, I think I would like to stick with snorkeling. But I bet I would not see as many cool things as you are! Can't wait to see the sea glass project, just wondering which side will win out!

    ReplyDelete