Thursday, March 14, 2013

Closet Crafter

First bath since ? Tubs heated by volcano


I have discovered that I am a closet crafter. I want to play games and cards with the kids, but I would really rather do crafts. Whenever we find a treasure, I want to take it home for display or make it into something. When at a market I see souvenirs and think ...I can make that. Have you ever bought a souvenir on vacation that you thought was the best thing ever only to realize at home you have no idea what to do with it or that you could never really wear it in the real word? I am certain this will happen with all my stuff, if it actually makes it home. I have no fear that customs and immigration will confiscate them like our Guatemalan coffee. It is my husband who constantly says “we can't take that home you know”.  In attempt to make him more empathetic, I  encouraged him to paint one piece of driftwood. Apparently he is not as sentimental as I am and feels no attachment to it. He also doesn’t tolerate the smell that some of the sea creatures exude after time.
Adam however, has inherited my crafting fever.  As we walk through the rain forest in Dominica, he continually picks up treasures. Finally our tour guide grumpily asked me “what does he plan to do with those?” I replied “Make a hat, a weapon, glue googly eyes on it, but most likely forget it in the back of your van.” As he trudged off I think he mentioned something about ants under his breath.
Later in the day we won over the tour guide by taking his girlfriend out to our boat. She lives on the island but has never been on a boat of any kind. She was so excited she called her mom and sister and took pictures. She would giggle as she described it to them, “….and flush toilets and a kitchen..and three bedrooms.” We enjoyed her company and gained an appreciation for Miss Lyla and the blessings we have. Adam of course gave her one of his bead animals as a parting gift.
We plan to do more land-based touring today as Dominica is revered for its rain forest, waiting for Martinique to dive some more. Martinique is 26 miles south of here and has several sunken ships in St. Pierre harbor due to the eruption of Mt. Peele volcano in 1902.                   JK

3 comments:

  1. i love the picture!

    a crafty lady? without exercise you can channel all your energy into creative pursuits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a funny post! Who knew you were so artsy?! Hope some of your treasures make it thru customs. Can't wait to see how they are incorporated into your decor!

    ReplyDelete